I’ve seen this band more times than any person who is not a member of their immediate inner circle (e.g. a roadie, family member, or significant other). Words cannot explain the depth of love… it’s not a “favorite band” kind of thing, it has to do with a friendship dating back to 1992. Collectively, they’re the single most influential thing of my life: it’s hard to explain how much this has colored my persona and influenced everything in the years since.
So here it is: my No Doubt show history. With notes and details. The numbers show 72 shows, but I could swear I was over 75, so I may have missed a few inbetween 2001-2005.
The most surreal, awesome, and eternally unforgettable “I can’t believe I was there for that” one: the ND/Sublime living room jam at Tony’s surprise birthday party (#10). Followed closely by gorilla’ing onstage with them (#60).
Other best ones: #1 (indescribable feeling where you feel like you found something that was made especially for you); #2 (met them); #5 and #6 (best shows + Angelo Moore guest appearance); #26 (Eric brought me onstage to sing his “secret” R-rated lyrics that only I knew); and #72 (emotionally walloped).
Continue on to the full list
Countries and US states I’ve been to.
- Canada and Mexico, of course
- Spain and Portugal (1994)
- Peru (12/85, 12/01, 12/03, 3/09)
Countries I haven’t visited but most want to: Iceland, China, Greece
Those in green are ones I’ve been to; the ones in red, I haven’t.
* Alabama * Alaska * Arizona * Arkansas * California * Colorado * Connecticut * Delaware * Florida * Georgia * Hawaii * Idaho * Illinois * Indiana * Iowa * Kansas * Kentucky * Louisiana * Maine * Maryland * Massachusetts * Michigan * Minnesota * Mississippi * Missouri * Montana * Nebraska * Nevada * New Hampshire * New Jersey * New Mexico * New York * North Carolina * North Dakota * Ohio * Oklahoma * Oregon * Pennsylvania * Rhode Island * South Carolina * South Dakota * Tennessee * Texas * Utah * Vermont * Virginia * Washington * West Virginia * Wisconsin * Wyoming *
A list that I began in 2005 or 2006. Because there are certain things that are ALWAYS funny, regardless of context.
Things that are always funny:
- Little People. (I know I’m going to get in trouble for this one.)
- When someone trips and falls.
- Flamboyantly gay males.
- Tiny dogs.
- Anything said with an East Indian accent.
- (list to be continued…)
An incomplete and ever-growing list that I began in 2005.
I love it when:
- there are 2 or more oyster crackers stuck together.
- The song ends right as you finish parking.
- A plan comes together.
- We’re the only two people who noticed that.
- There’s that little crunchy bit left on the stick after you eat the corn dog.
- Something arrives in the mail.
- You talk dirty.
- Someone else trips.
- The dog gets in the front seat and pretends like he’s driving.
- I hear from someone I haven’t heard from in forever.
- Someone starts a sentence with “Fact:”
- I turn the pillow over and get the cold side.
- The restaurant has mac & cheese.
- I arrive at the Gold Coast.
- You come back from the bathroom and your food has been served.
- I open the shampoo and it smells like apples.
- Interesting people come together and something great results.
- Someone inspires me and they don’t even know it.
- The character in the movie yells “Guards! Seize them!”
- I drive through a big-ass puddle.
- People throw their hands in the ay-yair and wave ’em like they just don’t care.
- Hilarity ensues.
- Someone offers me free food.
- I dream about flying.
- Someone at the club is overtaken by an uncontrollable urge to start doing “the robot”.
- “Multiball” happens.
- Something stays crunchy, even in milk.
- My doggie pees on his own foot.
- Anything talks in Peter Lorre voice.
- The guy driving the really sweet classic/vintage car is the original owner.
- There’s a piece of fruit that looks like a butt.
- We do it first thing in the morning.
- We have to reconstruct last night over the phone.
- Strangers have really weird conversations outside the bar right after it closes.
- My coworker says “effing” and “fucking” in the same sentence.
- The theater lets you pump your own popcorn butter.
- Really bad and obvious stock footage is spliced in.
- (list to be continued…)
Things to do before I kick the bucket. And when they made the list.
- go to China (Guilin, specifically). (Since I saw the Disney Circlevision China movie in 1985)
- See a solar eclipse. (Since 1979)
- Meet Huell Howser. (Since 1996)
That's what I said, Huell.
- Go skydiving. (Since 1990ish)
- See (but not climb) Mount Everest. (Since 1995)